Part of a series of specialized guides on System Center – this book focuses on using AppController to manage virtual machines and services across private and public clouds. Series editor Mitch Tulloch and a team of System Center experts provide concise technical guidance as they step you through key configuration and management tasks.
You can download the book here.
Dell TechCenter Global published a good guide for SCOM 2012 with Dell Compellent Storage Center Management Pack 2.0.
You can download it here.
Microsoft released a new Exam for Windows Server Hyper-V 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2.
Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center
Read more at Microsoft learning page here.
- Create and configure virtual machine settings.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Configure dynamic memory; configure smart paging; configure Resource Metering; configure guest integration services; create and configure Generation 1 and 2 virtual machines; configure and use extended session mode, and configure RemoteFX
- Create and configure virtual machine storage.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Create VHDs and VHDx; configure differencing drives; modify VHDs; configure pass-through disks; manage checkpoints; implement a virtual Fibre Channel adapter; configure storage Quality of Service
- Create and configure virtual networks.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Configure Hyper-V virtual switches; optimize network performance; configure MAC addresses; configure network isolation; configure synthetic and legacy virtual network adapters; configure NIC teaming in virtual machines
Configure and Manage Virtual Machine High Availability
- Configure failover clustering with Hyper-V.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Configure shared storage; configure Quorum; configure cluster networking; restore single node or cluster configuration; implement Cluster Aware Updating; upgrade a cluster; configure and optimize clustered shared volumes; and configure clusters without network names
- Manage failover clustering roles.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Configure role-specific settings including continuously available shares; configure VM monitoring; configure failover and preference settings; and configure guest clustering
- Manage virtual machine movement.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Perform Live Migration; perform quick migration; perform storage migration; import, export, and copy VMs; configure Virtual Machine network health protection; configure drain on shutdown; manage Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) and Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V) migrations; and implement virtual machine migration between clouds
Implement a Server Virtualization Infrastructure
- Implement virtualization hosts.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: implement delegation of virtualization environment (hosts, services, and virtual machines) including self-service capabilities; implement multi-host libraries including equivalent objects; implement host resource optimization; integrate third-party virtualization platforms; and deploying Hyper-V hosts to bare metal
- Implement virtual machines.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Implement highly available VMs; implement guest resource optimization including shared VHDx; configure placement rules; create a Virtual Machine Manager template
- Implement virtualization networking.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Configure Virtual Machine Manager logical networks including virtual switch extensions and logical switches; configure IP address and MAC address settings across multiple Hyper-V hosts including network virtualization; configure virtual network optimization; plan and implement Windows Server Gateway; implement VLANs and pVLANs; plan and implement virtual machine networks; and implement converged networks
- Implement virtualization storage.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Configure Hyper-V host clustered storage; configure Hyper-V virtual machine storage including virtual Fibre Channel, Internet SCSI (iSCSI), and shared VHDx; plan for storage optimization; and plan and implement storage by using SMB 3.0 file shares
- Manage and maintain a server virtualization infrastructure.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: Manage dynamic optimization and resource optimization; integrate Operations Manager with System Center Virtual Machine Manager and System Center Service Manager; update virtual machine images in libraries; implement backup and recovery of a virtualization infrastructure by using System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM)
Monitor and Maintain a Server Virtualization Infrastructure
- Plan and implement a monitoring strategy.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: planning considerations including monitoring servers using Audit Collection Services (ACS) and System Center Global Service Monitor, performance monitoring, application monitoring, centralized monitoring, and centralized reporting; implement and optimize System Center 2012 Operations Manager management packs; and plan for monitoring Active Directory
- Plan and implement a business continuity and disaster recovery solution.
- This objective may include but is not limited to: plan a backup and recovery strategy; planning considerations including Active Directory domain and forest recovery, Hyper-V replica including using Windows Azure Hyper-V Recovery Manager, domain controller restore and cloning, and Active Directory object and container restore using authoritative restore and Recycle Bin; and plan for and implement backup and recovery by using System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM)
This document published by Dell TechCenter global, provides configuration steps and best practices for configuring SMI-S integration between Microsoft System Center 2012 and the Dell Compellent Storage Center. Topics include SMI-S setup, storage discovery and classification. Note: This document covers the initial release of SCVMM 2012 which is supported on Server 2008 R2 only. For SCVMM SP1, which is supported on Server 2012, there is an updated best practices document on TechCenter.
You can download it here.